We love using fresh, seasonal produce from around Cheshire here at The Pheasant Inn, and recently we ran a competition on Facebook where we asked customers to share their own favourite asparagus dish!
The winner came from Suzie Butler and our Head Chef Matt has kindly put together a step by step recipe of this delicious dish for you to try at home.
“Linguine with pancetta, spring onion, chilli, asparagus tips, soured cream and parmesan”
For homemade linguine (alternatively buy freshly made/dried linguine from the supermarket):
250g OO pasta flour, 5 egg yolks, 1 whole egg, 1 teaspoon of water & 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- Mix together by hand until it forms a tight dough, wrap in cling film and leave to rest for 1 hour
- Using a pasta machine, roll out sheets 1mm thick then roll through the spaghetti attachment
- Bring a pan of water to the boil with a generous amount of olive oil in and blanch the pasta until it’s just underdone, shock in ice cold water, remove then leave to drain
For the sauce:
50g pancetta lardons, ½ finely sliced red chilli, 1 clove of garlic finely sliced, 6-8 spears of asparagus, 200ml of double cream, 20ml white wine, 1 tablespoon of soured cream, 20g parmesan, a handful of finely chopped chives & salt
- Sweat the chilli, garlic & pancetta until the pancetta starts to colour
- Whilst you are doing this, grease a baking tray with olive oil, lay the asparagus on it, season with salt and grill for 2 mins, remove from the grill and leave to cool
- Once the pancetta has coloured, add the white wine to deglaze the pan, then add the cream, bring to the boil and add the parmesan, season with salt if required
- Cut the asparagus spears in half and dice the bottom half into ½ cm segments, add to the cream sauce
- Add 100g of pasta to the sauce, stir in and add the asparagus spears to finish, serve with shaved parmesan and chives