This year, why not thrill your guests with one of Head Chef Matt’s favourite festive starters. Word of warning; demonstrating such culinary perfection in the kitchen might mean you’re cooking Christmas dinner every year!
1 terrine mould with lid
1 litre of duck or goose fat
10 duck legs
1 duck breast, skin removed, sinew removed
100ml double cream
2 banana shallots, finely diced
20g pistachio nuts, chopped
Zest of 1 whole orange
10g tarragon, finely chopped
10g chives, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, pureed
25ml white wine vinegar
Serves 6-8 people
1. Place the duck or goose fat into a large casserole pot and melt over a low heat.
2. Seal the duck legs in a frying pan with no oil until the skin colours to a golden brown, then place into the duck fat along with the excess juices and fat from the legs. Cover and cook in the oven @ 160 degrees for 1 hour or until the meat flakes away from the bone.
3. Saute the diced shallots with the garlic puree until clear and soft, do not season with salt.
4. Remove from the oven and drain the legs from the fat (you can keep the fat for later use in cooking) shred all the meat from the bones and place into a mixing bowl along with the pistachios, orange zest and diced cooked shallots. Mix well.
5. Chop the duck breast into small dice, season with salt and place in a food blender. Turn on and add the cream slowly until a tight mousse forms, remove from the blender and push through a sieve. Add the mousse to the duck leg meat along with the herbs and mix in thoroughly.
6. Line a terrine mould with cling film so it overhangs the sides and fill with the duck mix, pat down to even out, fold the remaining cling film over the top to seal it, place lid on top and cook in the oven for 30 minutes @ 130 degrees.
7. Remove and leave to cool, set in the fridge overnight.
8. Heat the honey and vinegar to 107 degrees on the stove, then remove from the heat, leave to cool to 30 degrees and place the cranberries in, stir around and leave to poach.
To serve, slice the terrine as desired, dress with honey and cranberries and add a slice of brioche to accompany.